Thursday, July 16, 2009

cooking

Yes I do know a few things in this area. Mainly the decorating/plating part of it as opposed to the prep part. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make a camping cake for my Dad's birthday. So far I've figured out that it will be easier to cut the cake if I chill it first. I've also learned that fondant and I don't get along. I don't like the taste or working with it (though I may use it for lines)... Now all I have to do is learn to embrace piping...

How does that relate to Tyler (since this is his blog)... I always loved when my mom would make our birthday cakes. I figure that is something I can do with my limited cooking skills (I used to be fairly skilled at it). So I figure PopPop is a good guinea pig for seeing if I can still do it. Hopefully there will be pictures at some point of a good cake.

Feel free to offer suggestions on ideas for a tent, water feature, animals and other general camping ideas :)

4 comments:

  1. Water - blue jello in foil that is molded in the shape of the lake. Haven't actually done this technique, but I've seen it done successfully a lot.

    Tent - graham crackers? Maybe with Twizzler Pull & Peel "rope" to hold them up? Or maybe pretzel rods and Fruit Roll-Ups?

    Animals? I got nothin'. Animals are hard.

    Other camping ideas - campfire made of pretzel rods and red hots and maybe some rolled out and shaped Starbursts inside of a campfire ring of M&Ms? Green-tinted coconut for grass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. No, actually. I've looked at a lot of cakes over the past year to get ideas for myself on various things. Those are the ones that stuck, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking regular breaks is pretty important for every individual. Working 24/7 can be a strenuous experience, which is why every one takes some time to clear their head and venture off into the wilderness with their friends and family. My favorite spots are the national parks to spend the break. Of course, what fun would camping be without delicious food cooked over an open flame or without playing games in the open air? Since I do this regularly I started collecting good sites and articles related to camping and fun activities or games for camping (more than 200 sites for camping and 200 sites for making your camping fun). You have all the information related to camping, camping gear, how to prepare for camping, how to choose camping sites, food, games etc.,. If you are interested take a look at the below link.
    http://markthispage.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-make-you-camping-trip-fun.html

    ReplyDelete